wstecz

Kościół pw. Wniebowzięcia Najświętszej Marii Panny

Kościół pw. Wniebowzięcia Najświętszej Marii Panny
ul. Dąbrowskiego 5a
32-600 Oswiecim
150 m from city centre
Tel.: 033 842-28-66
GPS: 50°02'21"N 19°13'16"E

The Church of the Assumption is an oriented structure with a nave and two single aisles, a rectangurarly-closed choir, a steeple on the western facade axis and a chapel at the northern aisle wall. Inside, the vaults and pillars have been

decorated with scagliola ornaments. The high altar, late-Baroque in style and decorated with life-sized figures of St. Peter and St. Paul, comes from the 18th century and was restructured in the second half of the 19th century. Apart from the altar, two beautiful crucifixes are worthy of attention: a seventeenth- century crucifix in the porch under the steeple, and an 18th century crucifix outside, on the eastern choir wall. In the passage from the nave to the choir, opposite the pulpit, there is a marble baptismal font with a metal lid from 1613. Initially, near the font there used to be marble memorial plaques, or epitaphs, plastered into the walls, After the renovation in 2001 they were removed and placed on the southern pillar and western nave wall. The oldest plaque comes from 1681; made from black marble, it is dedicated to Father Hieronim Russocki. The remaining epitaphs come from the 19th century.

In the church, there are also three post-Dominican paintings from the 18th century: the painting of Our Lady of the Rosary and two paintings featuring St. Jack and St. Dominic, an 18th-century feretory and chasubles, and several antique chalices.

It is likely that in the location of today’s Church of the Assumption, already in the 12th century there was a wooden parish church. This first church in Oświęcim was burnt, just like the rest of the town and village, during the Tartar attack in 1241. Destroyed by subsequent fires, the church was rebuilt several times, its final form obtained in 1881 - after the last reconstruction.

 

Opening hours

24h

Multimedia